How To Reset Starlink Router Introduction: Starlink, a cutting-edge internet service, promises high-speed connectivity, but occasionally users encounter frustrating issues like slow speeds and frequent disconnections. The solution? A Starlink router reset. In this comprehensive guide, we delve into the world of resetting your Starlink router to combat sluggish internet and disconnection problems.
Why Opt for a Factory Reset? Factory resetting can be a game-changer in resolving various network woes. Here are some scenarios where it comes to the rescue:
- Slow Internet: When your internet connection crawls at a snail’s pace, a factory reset can clear bugs and rev up your speeds.
- Disconnection Issues: Frequent disconnections interrupting your streaming or online gaming? A reset can reinstate optimal settings and stability.
- Relocation: Moving to a new location? Resetting your router establishes a fresh connection with nearby satellites, ensuring peak performance.
- Device Transfer: If you no longer need your Starlink devices and plan to sell them, a reset is essential to wipe your data, including passwords and connected devices.
How to Perform a Factory Reset on Your Starlink Router: Before diving into a factory reset, keep in mind that it erases your customized settings. It’s wise to jot down your preferences beforehand. Additionally, be aware that the process may take some time. If you’re in a hurry, consider using an alternative internet source, like mobile tethering, while resetting your router.
Using the Reset Button:
- Connect your router to a power source and power it on.
- Locate the reset button, usually situated at the back or bottom.
- Use a thin object (e.g., a paperclip) to press and hold the reset button for about 10 seconds.
- Once the router’s light goes off and back on, your factory reset is successful.
- Log into your device’s interface and reconfigure your preferred settings.
Using the Web-Based Interface:
- Connect your router to a power source and power it on.
- Connect your computer to your router’s network.
- Open your web browser and enter “192.168.1.1” in the address bar to access your router’s login page.
- Use your login credentials to access the interface (usually a username and password).
- Navigate to the settings and find the factory reset option.
- Click the reset link and confirm your desire to factory reset your device.
- Your router will commence the reset process; once done, you’ll need your original login credentials to reconfigure your settings.
How to Factory Reset a Circular Starlink Dish: For circular dish routers, Starlink has provided a dedicated reset button at the back. Here’s how to reset them:
- Connect your circular Starlink dish router to a power supply and power it on.
- Locate the reset button at the bottom of the router.
- Press the button for about 10 seconds until a blue light appears, indicating the start of the factory reset.
- Wait for a solid white light, signaling the completion of the reboot.
- On your computer, look for available WiFi networks and connect to “STARLINK” or “STINKY.”
- Find the default network password on the back of your router, enter it when prompted, and connect.
- When prompted to change your network ID and password, customize your credentials.
How to Factory Reset a Rectangular Starlink Dish: Rectangular dish routers lack a dedicated reset button. However, you can perform a factory reset through these methods:
Power Cycle Method:
- Locate the power supply socket of your router.
- While the router is still powered on, unplug the cable without turning off the outlet.
- Wait for about 3 seconds and re-plug it into the socket.
- Repeat the plugging and unplugging three times, with five seconds between each cycle.
- This process resets your device to its factory settings.
- After the final insertion, switch your router on and wait approximately five minutes for it to reboot.
- Now, identify the Starlink network on your computer and enter your default password, as shown on your device.
- Customize your network name and password when prompted and enjoy your internet.
Using the App: If you’re using the Starlink app (version 2022.08.0 and above), you can reset your rectangular dish router:
- Plug in and power on your router.
- Ensure your app is connected to your Starlink WiFi and online.
- Open settings and scroll down to the “factory settings.”
- Click “factory settings” to wipe all settings, passwords, and data.
- After the factory reset, use the default username and password to reconfigure your settings.
How to Factory Reset a Starlink Mesh Node: For optimal internet performance on all your devices, resetting a mesh node might be necessary. However, the Starlink app lacks a feature for this reset. Instead, you can use the power cycle method:
- Locate the power supply of your mesh node.
- Unplug it from the power source without switching off the power.
- Plug it back in and repeat the process of plugging and unplugging six times, with a three-second gap between cycles.
- After the sixth unplugging, let the mesh node rest for about three minutes before re-plugging and switching it on.
- Once it reboots, connect it to the Starlink router as prompted.
- After connecting, log in to your Starlink app and follow the prompts to pair the mesh node. (Ensure your computer is connected to the primary WiFi network, not the mesh node network, before opening the app.)
How to Reset Your Starlink Router Password: Forgetting your router password can be frustrating, but you can reset it and regain access to your account. Here’s how:
- Using an internet-enabled device, visit the Starlink home page.
- Click the three bars at the top right corner and find the sign-in link.
- Click the link and choose the “locked-out” option to access the password reset page.
- Enter your member email address on this page and click “enter.”
- Check your email for a password reset link.
- Follow the link, and it will send you another email containing a new password.
- Log in to the website using your email and the provided password.
- After successfully logging in, access your account to set a new password.
As we’ve explored, a Starlink router factory reset is a valuable tool to troubleshoot network issues. Whether it’s slow internet, disconnections, or relocating to a new place, a reset can bring your Starlink router back to optimal performance. Just remember that factory resetting erases your customized settings, so take notes beforehand. With these instructions in mind, you’ll be well-equipped to tackle connectivity problems and ensure smooth internet access through Starlink.